A photograph of the first Breakers estate, (Peabody and Stearns, 1878). A caption on the photograph correctly assumes that Cornelius Vanderbilt II purchased the property in 1885. Features of the wooden shingled house include gables, dormers, intricate carvings, a veranda covered in plants, and a tall turret. A large portion of the house is covered in ivy. In 1892, the house was lost in a fire, and the subsequent Breakers was constructed on the property.
Credit LineGift of Lynn Historical Society
Ochre Point Avenue
Peabody & Stearns
Related People & OrganizationsLorillard, Pierre (associated)
Vanderbilt, Cornelius (associated)