A black and white photograph depicting "the Cove" or "the Basin" (facing north) towards Bridge Street. To the far left are a few industrial buildings, including one labeled "ALEX N. BARKER LUMBER LOPEZ WHARF" and "E.Y. BARNUM." Several utility poles, seen next to this building, service railroad tracks nearby. To the right are several clapboard houses, many dating from the 18th century. The houses closely line the waterfront, and many have wooden fences. The Potter School, the tallest building at center, is also visible from this location. The Cove was partially filled in the 1860s for railroad construction; by 1893 (see atlas) the area seen in the photograph was completely filled in. (Note: The building labeled "Lopez Wharf" is most likely an advertisement for the Wharf, which was located off of northern Thames Street).