Chair

Object number
01.266
Date
1675 – 1695
Description
"Cromwellian" style side chair; maple baluster-turned front legs, rear stiles, and front stretcher; oak side stretchers; traces of original leather and brass tacks; original girt web and sacking, and wrought nails. Used in Moravian Church. Made of maple and red oak. Ref: Robert F. Trent,"The Endicott Chairs" Essex Institute Historical Collections, April 1978, pp 103-119. 17th century upholstered chairs were made in Boston and exported to other colonies. Gift of Greene Family of Newport, descendants of John Greene in 18th century. Came to NHS with other items from Moravian Church. See 83.2.1 for reproduction. Internal trade was important in colonies even in first period; households were not self-sufficient.
Materials
wood
Subjects
Gliders (Outdoor furniture)
Greene Family
Moravian Church
Related People & Organizations
Greene, John (associated)