Negatives (photographs)

Object number
Pfanstiehl, Paul
1948 – 1974
Series of photographs of Newport, captured between 1948 and 1953 (with some additions in 1974). The photographs show various scenes, including: Saint George's School, the Naval Training Station, Long Wharf, Touro Park, the Old Stone Mill, Rosa Vila, Marine Avenue, Cliff Walk, the Goelet Estate (Ochre Court), Marble Palace, the James Russell Pope house on Ledge Road, the Gully on Ledge Road, Bailey's Beach, Hazard's Beach, Ocean Drive, the East Channel, Fort Adams, Goat Island and Torpedo Station, King Park, the Newport Ferry, Emmanuel Church, Bellevue Avenue, Easton's Beach, Trinity Church, and Sullivan's Wharf.

The negatives also capture damage to Newport following hurricane Carol (1954), and a living history event at the Colony House with costumed interpreters (1974). 
photographic emulsion
Credit Line
Gift of John Pfanstiehl
Object Type
negatives (photographs)