Hammersmith Farm was first established by Governor William Brenton in 1640 shortly following the settlement of Newport. In 1877, the farm was owned by Henry L. Battey. After his passing, his heirs sold the property Joanna Russell Auchincloss, wife of John W. Auchincloss, in 1887.
The Auchinclosses built the mansion on the farm grounds in 1889 and the house served as a family home until its sale in 1977. At that point, the mansion was opened for special events and public tours. Hammersmith Farm was the childhood home of First Lady Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy and served as the site of her marriage to then Senator John F. Kennedy in 1953.
Throughout the Auchincloss’ ownership, the farm remained in working condition.