11064 Object Results

2002.10 A-E
Watch
before 1898

One side of the case depicts a leaping horse. The other side shows three dogs in a rural setting. The dog side of the case is in worse condition than the side depicting the horse. The face of the w...

2009.22.1
Viewbook
before 1950

Purple souvenir book featuring photographs of Newport attractions. Title page reads, "Newport Rhode Island, Street Scenes, Principle Residences and Places of Interest". Published by David Rubin in ...


A transparency depicting Eolus, a steamship that provided service between Wickford, Rhode Island and Newport. Ship is most likely pictured in Newport Harbor.


A glass plate positive image, probably for use in a magic lantern (stereopticon) projection unit. The image depicts a view of Bath Road looking east. A carriage, as well as the outline of a house, ...

01.508
Toy, Car
before 1916

Painted wood model of side pumper, red with black and gold trim; metal pumping mechanism, wooden handles. Solid wooden wheels, smaller front wheels on swivel. Air chamber is reproduction of origina...


A blue glass swizzle stick with a yellow ball at top. Along the stem reads, "New England Steamship Co. Serving All New England" and features a flag printed with "NE". Identical to 2006.13.3.


(a) 19th century brass spring lancet used for bloodletting. (b) Wooden case with latch for lancet.

93.10
Streetlamp
before 1880

Upper frame only from street lamp. Glass missing; no pole or ladder support. This lamp was probably from a street corner, as it has a slot on each side for a street name plate.


A stereograph image depicting the Aquidneck Hotel on Pelham Street.

Image was produced by Newport photographer Joshua A. Williams (d. 1892), whose printed label on reverse reads:
<...

P2379
Stereograph
before 1892

A stereograph depicting a view of Washington Square, looking west. The Brick Market is visible in the distance at right. Printed label on reverse reads: "Washington Square,/NEWPORT, R.I./PHOTOGRAPH...

2004.3.1
Stereograph
before 1892

A stereograph depicting the Old Stone Mill in Touro Park. The Mill is shown covered in ivy.

Stereograph was produced by Joshua A. Williams of Newport; his studio label, affixed to rever...

98.7.14
Snuffbox
before 1862

This small box looks like a book on the outside. It has brown/red velvet with gold detailing. The inside of the box is lined with Prussian blue paper and has a mirror on the left side in a gold fra...

2004.13.203
Sketch
before 1846

Pencil sketch of Newport's town crier, John Allen. Man is using crutches and ringing a bell. Allen died June 6, 1846 at the age of 67.

01.842
Silhouette
before 1833

Full length silhouette of woman (Sarah) facing right. Dressed in 19th century style with long dress, hair up in bun, holding a fan. Black on light paper, no frame. Written on back in pencil: "Befor...


Paper grocery bag with black lettering: 'Julius Sayer, Wholesale & Retail Grocer, 207 Thames St., Directly Opposite Kinsley's Express Office, Newport, R.I. Constantly On Hand Every Description ...

99.3.148
Shoe
before 1937

A single 7" long leather shoe in poor condition. The shoe has been slattened, appears to have an instep strap. Piece of paper glued onto foot of shoe reads 'Child's shoe, found in attic of Maudsley...

99.3.147
Shoe
before 1800

A single baby's leather shoe in poor condition; very old and brittle. Four holes at toe, instep strap is torn, sticthing on side of shoe is unravelling. Piece of paper found with shoe reads 'shoe f...

20.2.2
Shingle Tile
before 1894

Piece of roof slate with 1 3/4" hole made by a hailstone in a storm on July 14, 1894; small hole to accommodate nail. Marked "10" on the underside.

26.4
Shadow Box
before 1926

Showdow box with a three masted ship. The sails and wake created by the ship are three-dimensional, and strings with beads are used to represent ropes. Encasement is a wooden framed box painted bla...

95.20.6
Seal
before 1893

Turned cylinder (goblet shape), may have heavier metal in core, seal inscription surrounds image of scales of justice. Inscription: "Court of Compleas, Newport."

2004.15.1
Scrapbook
before 1900

Box 4 contains Miss Elizabeth Swinburne's scrapbook from before 1900. The scrapbook includes many ticket stubs, maps, photographs, postcards, and pressed flowers and leaves from various pleaces thr...


A photomechanical print that appears to have been cut from an unknown source. Print features several houses along the Cliff Walk, including The Breakers (original house, destroyed by fire in 1892)...


A photograph depicting buildings along Long Wharf; signs reading "Beadleston & Woerz/Ales & Porter", "Junk Store", and "Wm. B. Groff/Boats to Let" are visible throughout. A pedestrian is wa...


A matted photograph depicting Long Wharf. A man wearing a bowler hat is walking on a sidewalk at right; a horse-drawn carriage is visible at center. Road appears to be covered in dirt; utility pole...


A matted photograph depicting houses along the southernmost portion of the Cliff Walk, including (from left to right) the Mary Bell Estate, Edgecliff, Gull Rock, and Reef Point. A narrow dock situa...


A matted photograph depicting Anglesea, a house located on Ruggles Avenue at the Cliff Walk. Label on reverse refers to the house as "Mrs Frederic Pearson's villa"; architectural features include a...


A photograph of the Colony House and the Levi Gale House, taken from Meeting Street. Trees in Washington Square are visible at right; an automobile is visible on the road at center. Structure at fo...


A photograph depicting downtown Newport, looking east towards Trinity Church. Photo was taken from an unidentified wharf (possibly Banister's); the bow of the yacht "Aloha" (1910-1938) is visible a...


A matted photograph depicting the First Congregational Church as seen from the corner of Mill and Division Streets. Photograph was taken when the church building functioned as Burlingham's Auction ...


A stereograph depicting the Mrs. William M. Coles House, Bellevue Avenue at Dixon Street. House has a half-timbered exterior and is bordered by a fence and trees. Photographs by Joshua Appleby Will...


A matted photograph depicting Washington Square, looking east towards the Oliver Hazard Perry Monument. A parterre in the shape of an anchor is visible at foreground; a pool surrounded by flowers i...


A photograph depicting buildings at the corner of Spring and Church Streets. Two carriages and street railroad tracks are visible on Spring Street; hedges and a fence bordering Trinity Church's chu...


A matted photograph depicting buildings along Spring Street at the intersection of Mill Street. A fire hydrant and a streetlamp are visible at foreground; signs for Thomas E. Shea's Plumbing and "P...


A matted photograph depicting a street railroad car traveling down Levin Street near St. Mary's Church (see left). Road is covered in snow; signs on car read "BROADWAY" and "SNOW BIRD".


A matted photograph of the Mumford House (demolished 1904), located on Washington Square. The National Exchange Bank is visible at right; two carriages with horses can be seen near the sidewalk at ...


A matted photograph depicting Parkgate (later the Elks Lodge), a house located at the corner of Bellevue Avenue and Pelham Street. A fence, sidewalk, and leafless trees are visible at foreground.

Next 36

Filter by

Object Type +
Decade +
Person/Organization +
Manuscript Collection +
Has media +

Please note that this database's search function is powerful, drawing from extensive data that is not visible in this online interface. For this reason, search results may include objects that do not appear relevant to your search terms. We encourage you to contact us so that we can look at the complete data and help you determine if these objects are relevant to your research.